Saturday, October 8, 2011

#41 - Status Symbols

I've always had somewhat of a hippy mentality when it comes to material things, much to my parent's chagrin.  Notice I said somewhat, not totally.  I like living in a nice house.  I like driving a nice car.  I like going on vacation.  Having said that, it doesn't mean I have to have a 5,000 square foot house. My 2,000 square foot split foyer has always been fine and is home.  I do not drive a Mercedes or a Cadillac.  My baby Mariner SUV meets my shopping and tailgating needs.  I have never looked at what someone else has and wanted it.  I can appreciate the beauty of something, but it is not something I have to acquire myself.  So, observing someone wanting something just because it is bigger or better or a step up has always turned me off.  We seem to have become a society of instant gratification.  I want it and I want it now and I deserve it.  It seems to me we could be a bit more content with what we have and not be looking for something we don't have, just because someone else has it or just because we want it.
                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment