Saturday, October 15, 2011

#51- Rude & Ill Mannered Small People

What has happened to manners?  And being respectful of your elders?  For some children, it is non-existent.  Take for instance the day I drove my granddaughters home.  They live in a townhouse community, which is teaming with kids.  I mean kids are all over the place - on the sidewalks, on the playground, in the street, on Doggy Do Island (no explanation needed).  Hundreds of kids! So, when you drive into their development, you really need to go slowly, so you don't run over one of the street urchins.  I drive up on the aforementioned day, pull into a parking space near their house, rather than park in the "Visitor's Parking" area, because we had to unload a few things as they had spent the weekend. I open my door, start to walk around the car to get the 2 year old out of her car seat, and this boy around 10 years old comes right up to me and says, " hey, you're in OUR parking spot." Not- excuse me, ma'am, but do you know you're in our parking spot? And not in a smiley face, helpful way, but rather a bit menacing and intimidating way.  Well, those of you who know me, know that I am not usually intimidated by big people, let alone a 10 year old!  So, I turn to the darling child and lower my voice and say, "do I look like I live here and that I am permanently staying in your spot?  I don't think so, so back away from me."  The kid thinks about saying something else and then must have thought better of it after looking at my face, so he walks away, mumbling under his breath.  I don't know about you, but I would have kicked my kids' asses, if they ever talked to an adult like that when they were 10!
                                                                     




No comments:

Post a Comment